30.11.11

thanksgiving & england!


Thanksgiving was fantastic! All of the food we each brought turned out perfect (or in the case of M’s stuffing – even better than expected), we had plenty to go around, & everyone was in high spirits. Some funny moments of the evening:


· My homemade pie crusts failed – they both just slouched down during the baking…no clue why…so we had skinny pumpkin pie.



· We reviewed the history of the holiday, it was funny hearing how other assistants explained it to the kids.
· We all sang “Star-Spangled Banner” to a digital image of an American flag on the computer. The Brits looked on in great amusement.

We did go around the table to say what we are each thankful for, and of course, I shed a tear or two. The resounding sentiment was how thankful we all are to be able to celebrate this holiday with the people we view as our family here. & KO thank you for your package! I used the flowers as nametags :) 



I went home a bit earlier than most people since I had to get up early for the train to Beziers the next morning. Finished packing, slept, and then started the journey! Being paranoid about missing trains or flights, I booked my trains obscenely early. Won’t do that again…definitely had too much time to just hang out & wait in Beziers, which resulted in me purchasing 2 new books for my Kindle.

ENGLAND!!! BATH!!!

· I consumed: beans&toast&eggs&English bacon, cider, caramel nibblers, Cadbury chocolate, mince pies, hot spiced cider, toasted nuts, yummy veggies in pasta/over rice, yogurt, & HOBNOBS! Only one of my favorite parts of English food.
· Went to the Christmas Market, which was as gorgeous, crowded, and Christmas-y as ever.



· Went out in Bristol & Bath with the English friends I stayed with.
· Spoke ENGLISH! Though some in England would call it – American. Lots of banter over language differences, haha.
· Admired the beautiful Bath Stone & the architecture all over the city.
· Went on a walk to the top of a huge hill & was rewarded with an incredible view of the city.
· Had tea with Prof. B, who organizes the intern places & heads a lot of the day trips. We chatted about education, differences between the French & English systems, how I liked France, & some of the things I gained from my semester in England.
· Walked around all the places I used to frequent – ASE house, the Royal Crescent, my walk to classes, the train station, the Abbey…it was very strange being back. It felt the same, yet I felt different.


ASE

The Huntsman (redesigned inside!)

in front of the Crescent

It was cold though! And that my body was not prepared for, so unfortunately I’m sick as a dog right now. I called in sick off work yesterday & am hoping tomorrow morning goes well otherwise I may take part of tomorrow off too. Sore throat, fever, pounding headache…yuck. Haven’t left my room in nearly 48 hours! Thank goodness for Mimi’s amazing care package, Dad’s nice letter & phone conversation, S’s willingness to run out & get me OJ, and M getting me some lemon tea!

Oh, and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to one of my best friends – Lauren Waters! Love you soo much & can’t wait for your visit!! 


1 comment: