2.12.11

american strep v. french strep


England did me in! Due to being sick, I didn’t end up working at all this week. Thursday I finally went to a doctor here, after I called in sick again to both of my schools & emailed Gilles, our main contact here with the program. He recommended a few doctors and I chose one the closest (just around the corner from my place). Some interesting tidbits about life here in France:
-       Doctors have their offices in normal looking apartment buildings. All over the city.
-       Most consultations range between 20 and 25 Euros.
-       They don’t do that awful throat swab for a strep test! Or mine was just so bad it was obvious…
-       The French LOVE their dissolvable pills. I got 3 different types of pills to take, tallying up to 9 per day, 5 of which are dissolvable. And no, they do not taste good.
-       All of these pills were only 20 Euros
-       I will be reimbursed for all of this when I get my social security number!

Overall, certainly a different experience than it would be in America. But as of today I can swallow without immense pain, so whatever works!

In other news, Happy Fireside to Kappa’s back at Denison! L&L

Today I slept in, finally cleaned my room, made a weekend to-do list (necessary steps to feeling fully recovered), hung out with A a bit, and then went for a movie with some friends. We saw “Intouchables”, a French film that was amazing. To be honest, I understood about 50% of the language, but as it’s a movie I understood the whole plot by the end. Cried a bit (surprisesurprise), laughed a lot, learned a bit more French, and am really looking forward to seeing more French films in the future. We then went out for a drink (of course which I did not partake in) & dinner at a crêperie! Yumm.

Tomorrow: gym with Anna, les halles with Melissa to prep for a big cooking day on Sunday & potentially buying a winter coat to better prepare for the winter weather I’ll encounter in Scotland & Paris.

& I'll leave you with some Frost :)


Bisous!

1 comment: