22.11.11

Thanksgiving week


Thanksgiving!! Favorite holiday of the year - and found out today that only one child out of my 7 classes had some semblance of an idea of what it was. I quickly remedied that.

Even though I can’t be with my family in Chicago this Thanksgiving, I feel very thankful to have made such good friends here & to be having not one, but two Thanksgivings! Wednesday night I will be in Montpellier celebrating with Asia & other Montpellier assistants, while Thursday I will be in Nîmes cooking & eating with great friends here. Somehow, I’ll be making the pies for both days! Apple for Wednesday & pumpkin (my fav) for Thursday. I did my lessons on Thanksgiving today, and with some classes it went very well but there were quite a few roudy classes today. The French don’t have a good translation of “I am thankful for…”, and cranberries don’t exist here. Also, pumpkin pie – nope not a thing, and turkey is more of a Christmas deal. I do have Thursday off though! They had no problem when I told them it was a public holiday in the US & nearly as big as Christmas. SO I’m looking forward to a day of cooking, friends, talking to my family, and preparing for a weekend in England – my other abroad home :)

In other news, yesterday A & I joined a gym in Nîmes! It’s only  30 a month, which is great for France. It’s a small gym, especially compared to L.A. Fitness, where I was this summer. But it’s got tons of classes we’re excited to try out, it’s on the way back from my afternoon school, and it’s got everything you could need. Looking forward to that being our new social hour instead of coffee or going for a drink regularly! We worked out yesterday & I felt sooo good afterwards. 

On Friday morning I will catch the train in Nîmes to go to Beziers – about an hours ride – where I will then go to the airport for my plane to Bristol, England! My plans for England – some good beer, cider, friends, afternoon tea with my old Education professor, nights out in both Bristol and Bath, toast/beans/eggs and plenty of gorgeous English accents! 

bisous (or xx for les anglais)

No comments:

Post a Comment