13.2.12

ramblings from a stalled train


Here I am, on a train to Montpellier to spend a few days hanging out with Asia. A stopped train, due to an injured person. I think the train chatter is that it was a suicide, but can’t be sure. It’s sad, as this seems to happen far too often in France. It’s also a bit of a pain since we’ll be sitting here for an hour and a half before moving again. I almost didn’t eat before getting on the train, but now I’m wishing I had snacks. LOTS of snacks. France lesson: from now on bring food & water on every train trip. I do have water, and my laptop, Kindle, iPod & phone. Decked out on the technology, lacking on sustenance. So I’m taking this “opportunity” to write this post. Hmmm there’s not any big news from over here so I’ll do this post in little blurbs!

* Disclaimer: this post is really long…as I had an hour to kill (*edit: 2.5 hours total...and when we finally got moving we saw the body of the person on the side of the tracks. tragic). But props to those who actually read this whole thing!

~ I’m sticking with my May 15th return date to the States. For awhile I was hoping I would be able to extend my trip, maybe even staying the summer. But I’ve decided that it’s important I get back to Chicago & get a job for the summer. The exciting part of this is…I’ll be back in the States in about 3 months! Well, bittersweet really. More bitter than sweet at the moment. But to improve my trip back & make it a little more adventurous I’m planning on swinging by D.C. to visit cousins & friends :) Possibly a mini-Kappa reunion? Plus, the whole “first stop back in the states = our capital”…pretty great way to arrive back in the country.

~ A May 15th return means that I’ve got 2 weeks between the end of work & my departure – what to do & where to go?!? As of right now, leaning towards Scotland for the first week & ending my year (appropriately) in France. Based in Paris, I’d like to see Mont St. Michel, the Loire Valley chateaux, and the D-Day beaches. Besides Paris I haven’t seen any of northern France & those locations have been on my “to-see” list for years. Does anyone know people in this area? I’ll probably try to couchsurf – as I’ve said before, it’s one of the best things I’ve discovered this year!

~ Still waiting on word from CT for next academic year, I’ll update as soon as I hear back but that won’t be until March/April/May. I did apply for a second year here, but am absolutely not banking on it. It’s really, really hard to get accepted for a second year.

~ Summer plans? CHICAGO! I had an amazing time last year, as summer in the Chi is unbeatable. Starting to work on job stuff…which is definitely beatable. 
~ Trains in France: The TGV is the fast one, Nîmes to Paris in 3 hours! Then there are the TER trains, which are regional. I am in love with the TGV. Fast, clean, quiet, organized & they even come with a drink/café car! Public transportation in France feels miles beyond what we have…and then I remember how freaking big the US is. But still – cross country train ride? Definitely on my USA to-do list now.

~ Wind in the South: The “mistral” blows away all sickness & is very cold (LIES I’ve had a cold since I got back from Paris) and incredibly strong. On several walks to the gym I’ve almost been blown over or blown into the side of a building. Honestly, it feels just as awful as the winds in Chicago. Also, there are two winds that come off the sea, and supposedly one will make you go crazy.

~Stir-crazy: Regardless of this train misfortune, I’m very happy to be leaving Nîmes. I was definitely starting to go stir-crazy. Nearly a month in a half in one place! & this doesn’t mean I feel the need to leave wherever I am every 2 months, just that while living in Europe I feel like I should be traveling, seeing as much as I can. But it’s been a good time to hang out, get stuff done…in another month the insanity begins & I won’t stop moving until I get back to Chicago.

~ Books: What I’ve read recently or am in the middle of reading… A Year in the Merde by Stephan Clarke; Second Glance by Jodi Picolt; An Introduction to the History of Western Europe by James Harvey Robinson; Talk to the Snail – Ten Commandments for Understanding the French by Stephan Clarke; History of France by Charlotte Mary Yonge.

~ Ok, I think I’m seriously running out of things to talk about…to finish up this fabulous travel experience I’ll put on a movie & end this with a quote:

“Life is truly a ride. We’re all strapped in and no one can stop it. When the doctor slaps your behind, he’s ripping your ticket and away you go. As you make each passage from youth to adulthood to maturity, sometimes you put your arms up and scream, sometimes you just hang onto that bar in front of you. But the ride is the thing. I think the most you can hope for at the end of life is that your hair is messed, you’re out of breath and you didn’t throw up.” – Unknown

bisous xx

No comments:

Post a Comment