2.2.12

first awful class & other news


     Well I had my first class today that was absolutely awful. The teacher left for a bit & usually they’re fine when she’s gone but today was just ridiculous & they wouldn’t stop talking for the first 15 minutes of class. Sooo I wrote about sixteen words on the board for them to write 5x each. Oh my god absolutely raging. Ha, all the words had to do with the Super Bowl, American football, and then since they were still talking I added in the seven days of the week as well. Hopefully they won’t be misspelling the date anymore. And yes, I know the whole copying words down is an old punishment & rarely done & probably not encouraged…but I’ve never been in this situation before & it was the first thing I could think of that 1) they would hate and 2) would be slightly educational. Sucks for the few people in the class that weren’t being obnoxious, but honestly there were probably only like 3 people that were ok. Gah. I guess the first awful class had to come at some point. This class today made my normally bad class look pretty good. Hmm, for anyone reading this – any similar experiences? What kind of punishment (and I do hate using that word…) did you use? I rarely raise my voice while teaching (or in life), and it makes little difference with the kids especially with the language barrier. Usually I just get quiet & wait for them to stop talking & it works within a minute or less. Today I had waited for at least 10 minutes & then I just had enough. Anyways, on to more happy thoughts.

    It’s snowing today! Yay! It’s fun to see it snowing here, especially since it happens so rarely & all the kids are thrilled about it. I doubt it’ll stick, but watching it fall reminds me of home. I guess in the south of France winter doesn’t turn up until February! Oh & the mistral finally arrived as well – bitter cold wind. I don’t at all mind the snow & cold, but when you throw wind in there…yikes. We had about half an hour of snowfall two days ago, but today it’s been slowly coming down since morning! I do hope it sticks, but I also wouldn’t mind a return to the sunny and 50 degree weather we had last week.
     
     Other fun random news: Denison made it into the list of most fun-loving schools (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/01/the-19-most-fun-loving-co_n_1246597.html#s654607&title=Denison_University_), I may be getting a visit in mid-March from a DU&Kappa friend, filmed two groups of students doing the Little Red Riding Hood play we did last week, Allison will be coming to visit me at the beginning of April, 22 days until my 23rd birthday, Bid Day back at Denison this past weekend went wonderfully & they (weird not saying “we”) now have a fabulous new pledge class of 30 women, Super Bowl Sunday abroad!, Burns Night is tomorrow (hooray for Scotland!), showed a couple of my classes the Chicago Bears fight song on youTube, and am currently obsessed with the show Downton Abbey. Makes me want to move back to England! Into a castle/mansion of course.

     Dinner & games tonight at Sarah’s, thank goodness. Time to unwind with friends & a glass of wine & greet the weekend with a much better mood than I was in after school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment