7.2.12

bagpipes, haggis & kilts - Oh my!


Burns Night!

I swear, in another life I was Scottish. Die-hard Scottish. Friday night was Burns Supper in Nîmes, with about 15 of the assistants & another 40 or so people (mostly over the age of 60). Expats, interested French, kilted women & men…the moment we walked in it promised to be an interesting night.

tartan that sarah's mom gave me as a parting gift :)


History: Celebrating the life of Scottish poet Robert Burns, Burns supper is generally at the end of January to coincide with his birthday on the 25th. Takes place both in Scotland & wherever there are Scottish expats or clubs. Generally there are recited poems, bagpipes, speeches, & haggis.

One of his poems:
A Red, Red Rose
“O my Luve's like a red, red rose

That’s newly sprung in June;

O my Luve's like the melodie

That’s sweetly play'd in tune.


As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,

So deep in luve am I:

And I will luve thee still, my dear,

Till a’ the seas gang dry….”

Continuing on – first there were speeches, followed by a ceremony. Words do not do justice…bagpipes played while the log of haggis was brought out (by a man in a kilt, of course) & set down for all to see. After a lengthy poem about (I think) haggis, the man broke open the log in the middle and everyone cheered as the bagpipes started up again. Then came dinner, which was decent…definitely not even close to the food I had at the Philliben residence while in Scotland! Soup, potatoes & haggis & parsnips, dessert. But the best part of the night, the dancing! I’ve got no clue what these dances were called, but they were group/couple dances that I guess are similar to barn dances? That’s just what someone said, haha. Everyone had a blast trying to figure out the dances in a mix of English & French…our younger group was probably the worst but certainly the entertainment in the group. Lots of laughter, skipping, and a lovely old man that said it was destiny when I ended up dancing with him the 3rd time in a huge circle group dance! Here are some quality photos of the night :)

SO COLD - anna & i waiting for the shuttle

pre-group dance - girls on one side & guys on the other!

nice

getting goofy

note the kilts....and strange flaming red hair


if i wasn't american...i'd choose to be scottish

sooo lucky to have such a great friend here!

No comments:

Post a Comment