12.12.11

julia child - you inspire me (should have posted last week)




Fantastic weekend! (Dec 2/3/4) On Saturday I went to les Halles with M, searching out bacon (not as easy as you’d think), chicken, & veggies for coq au vin! M & I wanted to cook something fabulous, challenging, and French. So – we look to Julia Child – who else?! I wish I had her cookbook here with me, but I can’t imagine lugging that home with me in May. While at the market we got to talking to one of the meat men about America, France, Paris v Rome for vacations…he had a friend that went to Wooster! Such a small world sometimes.
The dinner was a smashing success, here’s the recipe we used:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2006/12/magnificence-au-vin/

Note for next time: get the broth with reduced sodium, it was a bit salty, but other than that it was absolute perfection. Mmmm the onions and the mushrooms…just wow. Cannot rave enough about it! So now I am a bit obsessed & bought the movie Julie & Julia on iTunes & have been looking up more of her recipes to try.

Monday was pretty chill, went to the gym with A & then went over to S’s to do a practice round of sugar cookies (YUM). Haha we had quite the time making shapes with no cookie cutters. Some of our creations: funky Christmas trees, a heart, a wreath, Jesus in a cradle, an angel, C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S, a crooked wine glass, and a grumpy snowman.

Tuesday I was back in school, after nearly two weeks gone with Thanksgiving & strep. I taught family, and had the kids do family trees. In hindsight, I probably could have thought of a less-complicated activity with all of the varying types of families…but after presenting their tree I think all of the students know the main vocabulary (brother, sister, father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, family) and presenting phrases (This is me.; This is my…). It was not the best day of work, the kids were especially roudy & one of my teachers was in an awful mood. Oh well!
Tuesday after dinner S came over for some wine & we hung out with A & her friend in from Montpellier for the night. A bunch of us went up on the Ferris Wheel next to the arena, the view of the city was so pretty with all of the Christmas lights that are up! Wednesday – Secret Santa shopping with S! The crew of 8 of us decided at last week’s Christmas party to do a Secret Santa for this week’s Christmas fete. Yes, we have had a Christmas party every Thursday in December. It’s fabulous, but definitely still doesn’t feel like Christmas…it’s still 50 degrees here! We shopped, had lots of successes, and went to my official favorite place for a coffee in Nîmes. It is the cutest boulangerie/patisserie in the city (in my opinion)…it’s feminine with a huge mirrored wall, only 8 or so tables, and has a full counter of chocolates on one side & baked goods on the other. I got the “Gourmand” which is a little coffee, the tarte of the day (lemon meringue), a macaroon of your choosing, and a small chocolate for the finish. Mmmmm.
Thursday - teaching! Had the kids present their family trees & then we started on clothing for the older ones and faces for CP. 

*Will post about this past weekend in Lyon later tonight or tomorrow! 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment