21.10.11

pumpkins, witches, and ghosts oh my!


Week 2 done! I did lessons on Halloween all this week, which was both really fun & made me miss home! Pumpkin picking & carving, roasting the seeds, planning costumes, loads of squash, apple cider, cute kids in costumes…ahhh American fall.
I know that my French is improving, or at least it’s all coming back to me now – but the rate at which my vocabulary is expanding is insane! All the words I teach them in English, they end up teaching me in French because I have to explain it or they accidently say the word in French instead of English. I now know the French equivalent for words like pumpkin, witch, ghost, vampire, devil, costume, decorations, wizard, zombie, paper, binder, & the list goes on & on.
Some things I did: taught kids 4 words (minimum) related to Halloween (witch, ghost, cat, pumpkin); had them draw the images & color them in (coloring is amazing in some of my harder classes! They were quiet for the first time!); read Halloween/scary poems; asked what they dressed up in; and showed classes a Powerpoint of Halloween images (treats, costumes, jack-o-lanterns, decorations). I included one picture of my brother Ben & myself when we were little & picking out pumpkins. Ha, I’m wearing a cowboy hat…so 90s, so American. One girl told me I was a really cute little girl, merci!
Other events of the week consisted of a spontaneous trip to Avignon for a night & part of the next day, road trip planning, the best sandwich I’ve had here in France (with S), receiving my medical appointment for OFII (one step closer to getting social security!) which is on a day I work so I have to ask permission to have the day off since it’s in Montpellier, and missing pumpkins, squash & other fall-ish things a lot.
Must go, but keep reading because ROAD TRIP STARTS TOMORROW!!!!!
bisous

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a journey of a lifetime. So happy for you, Audrey! I remember when I did my stint through Europe after college--on Eurorail, baguettes, cheese and apples. Love the photos. Wonder how you will spend your favorite holiday, Thanksgiving, in France. Will you cook a turkey for your students? :D

    All the best,
    jas

    ReplyDelete